Walther-Lehmkuhl-Schule (WLS) is the regional vocational training center for vocational training in about 50 different commercial, technical and design professions in Neumünster. Neumünster is located 50 km north of Hamburg and 30 km south of Kiel. The school is named after the city's former mayor (1950 to 1970). Walther-Lehmkuhl-Schule offers various educational opportunities for students and trainees.
With its numerous specialist classes and a total of seven state vocational schools, WLS provides vocational education that extends beyond the borders of the state of Schleswig-Holstein. Currently, we have 2,400 students. Essentially, each curriculum is about acquiring the necessary professional skills to navigate safely and gain further qualifications in an increasingly complex living and working world. Vocational school lessons based on these requirements offer many opportunities to obtain higher school degrees up to a technical college entrance qualification alongside professional qualifications. Depending on the profession, the lessons themselves are organized part-time (1 or 2 days a week) or in terms of three weeks.
Partners in dual training
A system that offers such a wide range of educational opportunities requires a well-trained teaching staff in order to be able to promote the various talents of the students. Teacher training is therefore very important at WLS. The equipment of a vocational school must also be kept up-to-date and, with fast innovation cycles, keep up with the technical innovations of a modern working world. For this purpose, WLS draws up medium and long-term budget plans. And last but not least: WLS sees itself as a reliable partner - both in the system of dual vocational training for crafts and industry, as well as in full-time school training.
We maintain an open relationship and dialogue with our students, their parents and trainers. However, we can only achieve our ambitious goals together with our partners. This includes in particular the training companies, chambers, guilds, inter-company training centers, the city of Neumünster as the sponsor of our school and the vocational and general schools in the region. Our motto is “Education is our craft”.
Another approximately 400 students attend full-time school courses in order to obtain higher degrees. Everything is possible, from the first general school leaving certificate, the intermediate school leaving certificate, to the technical college entrance qualification, to the Abitur by graduating the vocational high school.
Full-time courses in detail
Depending on the general school qualification an applicant has already achieved, they can choose classes leading to the following certificates:
- in the Vocational High School, specializing in technology: the general university entrance qualification (Abitur/Hochschulreife) or the technical college entrance qualification (Fachhochschulreife, school part)
- at the Higher Vocational School, specializing in technology or design: the subject-specific or general university entrance qualification (Abitur/ Hochschulreife)
- at the Technical College, specializing in technology, or at the Vocational School III, specializing in design technology or physics (laser technology): the technical college entrance qualification (Fachhochschulreife)
- at the Vocational School I, specializing in general technology: the middle school leaving certificate (Mittlerer Schulabschluss)
- in Pre-Vocational Training: the first general school leaving certificate (Erster allgemeinbildender Schulabschluss)
Through successful professional qualification in dual training our students can achieve higher school leaving certificates:
- the technical college entrance qualification
- the middle school leaving certificate
- the first general school leaving certificate
The school structure enables everyone to obtain a higher level of education at any time.
Regional vocational training center of the city of Neumünster AöR
Tel: 00494321 / 942 - 4700
Fax: 00494321 / 942 - 4799